NY14:13
    LDN19:13
    HKG02:13
    TYO03:13
    Gold4,525+0.54%
    Bitcoin77,455+0.77%
    Gold4,525+0.5%
    Bitcoin77,455+0.8%
    LATEST NEWS
    Sean McVay admits mishandling Jared Goff trade communication in 20216 minutesReports link Aaron Rodgers’ Steelers decision to timing of 2026 NFL schedule12 minutesNFL engages with Florida attorney general over diversity-hiring probe23 minutes2027 NFL mock draft projects Arch Manning No. 1 using 2026 orderabout 1 hourMavericks dismiss Jason Kidd; Knicks stun Cavaliers with record Game 1 rallyabout 2 hoursNorth Korean side Naegohyang reach AFC Women’s Champions League final in Suwonabout 3 hoursSean McVay admits mishandling Jared Goff trade communication in 20216 minutesReports link Aaron Rodgers’ Steelers decision to timing of 2026 NFL schedule12 minutesNFL engages with Florida attorney general over diversity-hiring probe23 minutes2027 NFL mock draft projects Arch Manning No. 1 using 2026 orderabout 1 hourMavericks dismiss Jason Kidd; Knicks stun Cavaliers with record Game 1 rallyabout 2 hoursNorth Korean side Naegohyang reach AFC Women’s Champions League final in Suwonabout 3 hours
    Global Affairs

    Beirut Under Siege: Israeli Strikes Kill 254

    Israeli strikes across Lebanon on April 9, 2026 hit Beirut hard, killing at least 254 and injuring 1,165, civil defense said.

    Published10 Apr 2026, 06:00:51
    Beirut Under Siege: Israeli Strikes Kill 254
    A360
    Key Takeaways✦ Atlas AI
    01

    254 killed, 1,165 wounded in Beirut.

    02

    Strikes targeted residential areas with 1,000-pound bombs.

    03

    Lebanese officials condemn civilian targeting.

    Atlas AI

    Atlas AI

    Israeli airstrikes on Wednesday, April 9, 2026, hit more than 100 locations across Lebanon, killing at least 254 people and injuring 1,165, according to initial figures from Lebanon's civil defense. The heaviest impact was reported in Beirut, where densely populated residential districts were struck, including the Barbour and Tallet al-Khayyat neighborhoods. Officials and residents described widespread destruction in areas that had been viewed as relatively safe.

     

    Israel said the operation was named "Operation Eternal Darkness" and stated that the targets were Hezbollah command-and-control centers. Lebanese officials and residents, however, said the strikes involved 1,000-pound bombs and resulted in large numbers of civilian casualties. First responders continued searching through debris for survivors and additional victims, and officials said the death toll was expected to rise as recovery efforts continued.

     

    Lebanon's Prime Minister Nawaf Salam accused Israel of violating international law by striking unarmed civilians in residential areas. The reported casualty pattern included children and older people, according to accounts from the affected neighborhoods. The scale of damage and the concentration of casualties in civilian zones intensified scrutiny of how targets were selected and what precautions were taken, as described by Lebanese officials and residents.

     

    The health system in Beirut reported acute strain as casualties arrived in large numbers. The American University of Beirut Medical College (AUBMC) said it received about 70 wounded people at the same time, with many suffering critical injuries, including crush wounds. The influx, combined with the severity of trauma, was described as overwhelming for local medical capacity.

     

    Lebanon's civil defense said the reported death toll from the April 9 strikes exceeded the number of fatalities from the 2020 Beirut port explosion. Rescue teams continued operations amid rubble in multiple locations, and officials cautioned that the initial counts could change as more areas were reached and more victims were identified.

     

    Share

    Related Articles

    Atlas360

    Sign up for Atlas Daily

    The daily global news briefing you can trust.

    every weekday·Read it now

    or
    Sign in

    Already subscribed? Sign in and we won't show you this message again.