Senate rejects Iran war powers limit.
Vote was 49-50, one new GOP defection.
Administration cites ceasefire, Democrats disagree.

Atlas AI
The U.S. Senate on Wednesday, May 15, rejected a Democratic-led effort to limit President Donald Trump’s military authority against Iran, as a procedural vote fell short by one vote. The motion to discharge the resolution from committee failed 49-50, marking the seventh defeat for similar measures since the war began on Feb. 28. The vote came even as Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, broke with most Republicans to support advancing the resolution.
Murkowski joined Sens. Rand Paul, R-Ky., and Susan Collins, R-Maine, in voting to move the measure forward, while Sen. John Fetterman, D-Pa., was the lone Democrat to oppose it. The resolution was introduced by Sen. Jeff Merkley, D-Ore.
The proposal would have directed the president to remove U.S. Armed Forces from hostilities within or against Iran unless Congress authorized the action through a declaration of war or a specific authorization for the use of military force. Democrats cited the 1973 War Powers Resolution, which requires congressional approval for unauthorized military engagements that extend beyond 60 days.
War powers dispute after ceasefire claim
The administration has argued that the 60-day clock does not apply because hostilities ended with a ceasefire reached on April 7. Trump said in a May 1 letter to congressional leaders that hostilities with Iran had “terminated,” according to officials.
Murkowski said she switched her vote after the 60-day threshold passed earlier this month and she had expected more clarity from the administration but had not received it. She said the Senate should be able to discuss its responsibilities under the War Powers Resolution.
Republican leaders say hostilities have ended
Sen. Jim Risch, R-Idaho, the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, echoed the administration’s position ahead of the vote. He said the hostilities referenced in the war powers resolution no longer exist and that operations that began on Feb. 28 were terminated with the April 7 ceasefire.
The repeated failures of the measure have left the administration’s approach intact for now, while keeping the debate over congressional war powers and the U.S. posture toward Iran active on Capitol Hill.
Lawmakers are expected to continue pressing the administration for details on current operations and the status of the ceasefire in the weeks ahead.

