Gunshots reported in Philippine Senate.
Senator Dela Rosa resisting ICC arrest.
No government forces attempted arrest.

Atlas AI
Gunshots were reported inside the Philippine Senate building on Wednesday, May 13, 2026, as Senator Ronald Dela Rosa remained inside the compound while resisting arrest linked to an International Criminal Court (ICC) warrant. Officials said no casualties were reported and the source of the gunfire was still unclear. Several senators said they did not know who fired the shots.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos said the incident was not carried out by government personnel. He described it as an apparent exchange of gunfire involving an unidentified armed group and Senate security, and said no government forces attempted to enter the building to arrest Dela Rosa.
Dela Rosa, a former police chief and an ally of former President Rodrigo Duterte, has stayed in the Senate compound since Monday. Officials said he previously evaded local investigative unit officers earlier in the week and is seeking a temporary restraining order from the Supreme Court against the ICC warrant.
The Interior and Local Government Secretary, Jonvic Remulla, entered the Senate building after the gunshots and told Dela Rosa he would not be served with an arrest warrant, according to officials. Remulla also said Dela Rosa would remain inside while authorities conducted a security sweep.
ICC allegations and warrant
The ICC has accused Dela Rosa of complicity in alleged crimes against humanity tied to an anti-drug campaign carried out from 2016 to 2018. The campaign resulted in thousands of deaths, according to the article.
The ICC confirmed on Monday that it had issued an arrest warrant for Dela Rosa, citing incidents in which 32 people were killed. The article did not provide additional details on the warrant’s scope beyond the allegations and time period.
Security response at the Senate complex
Authorities continued to investigate where the shots came from and why they were fired, while senators and security personnel assessed the situation inside the compound. Officials said the security sweep was intended to ensure the safety of those inside and determine who was responsible.
The incident added to political and legal pressure around Dela Rosa’s continued presence at the Senate as he seeks court relief and as officials weigh next steps related to the ICC process.
Officials said the next focus will be the outcome of the security investigation and any Supreme Court action related to Dela Rosa’s request to block enforcement of the ICC warrant.


