Philippine Senate disrupted by arrest attempt.
Senator dela Rosa faces ICC charges.
No injuries reported during incident.

Atlas AI
The Philippine Senate was thrown into disruption on Wednesday, May 13, 2026, in Manila after sounds resembling gunshots were heard during what officials described as an apparent attempt to arrest Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa while the chamber was in session. Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla said no one was injured. It was not immediately clear who fired the shots.
Dela Rosa, an ally of former President Rodrigo Duterte, said earlier on Facebook that he expected operatives from the National Bureau of Investigation and the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group to arrest him after the day’s session. He also urged supporters to gather at the Senate.
Dela Rosa and Duterte are co-defendants in a case at the International Criminal Court in The Hague over alleged crimes against humanity linked to a drug crackdown during Duterte’s presidency. Human rights groups say thousands of people died in the crackdown. Duterte is detained and on trial in The Hague.
The incident occurred at about 7:30 p.m. local time as the Senate was meeting, according to the report. A live broadcast carried the sound of explosions and gunfire, though officials said there were no injuries.
Arrest efforts and Senate protections
Dela Rosa had previously avoided an arrest attempt on Monday, May 11, 2026, at the Senate complex. The repoReports indicate that after agents tried to serve the ICC warrant, he reached the Senate chamber, where the would-be arresting officers had no authority.
In his Facebook post on Wednesday, Dela Rosa said he had received information that NBI and CIDG personnel were coming to arrest him. He asked supporters to help prevent what he described as another Filipino being taken to The Hague.
ICC case and legal challenge
The repoSources said Dela Rosa’s lawyers are petitioning the Supreme Court to invalidate the ICC warrant. The ICC has accused him of responsibility for multiple killings during his tenure as Davao City’s police director and later as chief of the Philippine National Police, allegations he has denied.
Authorities did not immediately provide details on what caused the reported gunfire sounds inside the chamber. The next development to watch is whether investigators identify who fired the shots and whether officers renew efforts to execute the warrant outside the Senate’s protected areas.


