The US delayed potential strikes on Iran's energy sites for 10 days to allow for ongoing talks, a move announced by President Trump.
Bilateral diplomacy is hampered by deep mistrust, with Washington putting the onus on Tehran and Iran doubting US sincerity in negotiations.
Despite the pause on major US action, low-level hostilities persist, as Iran reported overnight attacks in cities like Tehran and Urmia.

Atlas AI
President Donald Trump said the United States will wait another 10 days before deciding on possible military action aimed at Iran’s energy infrastructure, extending a deadline that had been set to expire on Friday.
The pause offers a short-term easing in a confrontation that has kept the region on heightened alert, while leaving the underlying dispute unresolved.
Decision delayed as diplomacy remains undefined
Trump framed the extension as time to allow “ongoing talks” with Tehran to continue. He did not provide details on the format of the discussions, who is involved, or what issues are being negotiated.
The lack of clarity around the contacts is a key limitation for markets and policymakers trying to gauge whether the delay signals a meaningful diplomatic track or simply a short postponement.
Mutual skepticism shapes the negotiating climate
Public messaging from both sides points to entrenched distrust. Trump has maintained a hard line in public remarks, indicating he believes Iranian leaders should take steps to reduce tensions and that he is not seeking an agreement at any cost.
Iranian state media, meanwhile, has conveyed what it described as “complete doubt” about Washington’s sincerity in negotiations. That posture lowers expectations that the additional 10 days will produce a breakthrough.
Hostilities continue despite the pause
Even with a major US strike decision deferred, reports of violence persisted. Iranian sources said there were overnight attacks in several locations, including Tehran and the northwestern city of Urmia.
Those reports underscore that the delay applies to a specific US decision point, not to the broader pattern of friction and low-level conflict that continues in parallel.
Energy targets raise the stakes for markets and allies
The prospect of striking Iranian energy sites sits within the Trump administration’s “maximum pressure” approach, which relies on heavy economic sanctions to push Tehran toward renegotiating the 2015 nuclear agreement, known as the JCPOA, and to limit Iran’s regional influence.
That strategy followed the US withdrawal from the JCPOA. Moving from sanctions to direct attacks on energy infrastructure would mark a sharp escalation from economic coercion to overt military confrontation.
What it means for global politics and oil risk
Because energy facilities are central to Iran’s economy and to regional supply perceptions, any shift toward military action could reverberate through global oil markets. The source material does not provide price moves or supply figures, but the channel of risk is clear: heightened conflict expectations can translate into higher risk premiums for crude and related assets.
Politically, a strike on energy infrastructure could widen the conflict by pulling in US partners and Iran-aligned groups, raising the chance of broader regional instability. For now, the 10-day window functions as a brief de-escalation while also keeping pressure on Tehran, with the next signals from Washington and Iran likely to shape expectations.