NY16:22
    LDN21:22
    HKG04:22
    TYO05:22
    Gold4,536+1.11%
    Bitcoin77,509+0.84%
    Gold4,536+1.1%
    Bitcoin77,509+0.8%
    LATEST NEWS
    NFL studies overseas Super Bowl; Rice to serve 30 days; Vikings shortlist17 minutesBurrow backs Bengals roster after bold defensive overhaul and trade for Lawrence18 minutesDallas Cowboys to face Ravens in Rio de Janeiro in 2026 Week 336 minutesDocuments show Starmer aides briefed on journalist investigationabout 1 hourColts weigh 2026 extensions for Quenton Nelson, Jonathan Taylorabout 2 hoursSean McVay admits mishandling Jared Goff trade communication in 2021about 2 hoursReports link Aaron Rodgers’ Steelers decision to timing of 2026 NFL scheduleabout 2 hoursNFL engages with Florida attorney general over diversity-hiring probeabout 3 hoursNFL studies overseas Super Bowl; Rice to serve 30 days; Vikings shortlist17 minutesBurrow backs Bengals roster after bold defensive overhaul and trade for Lawrence18 minutesDallas Cowboys to face Ravens in Rio de Janeiro in 2026 Week 336 minutesDocuments show Starmer aides briefed on journalist investigationabout 1 hourColts weigh 2026 extensions for Quenton Nelson, Jonathan Taylorabout 2 hoursSean McVay admits mishandling Jared Goff trade communication in 2021about 2 hoursReports link Aaron Rodgers’ Steelers decision to timing of 2026 NFL scheduleabout 2 hoursNFL engages with Florida attorney general over diversity-hiring probeabout 3 hours
    Sports

    Burrow backs Bengals roster after bold defensive overhaul and trade for Lawrence

    Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow expresses confidence in the team's roster following significant offseason defensive acquisitions.

    Published20 May 2026, 20:04:40
    Key Takeaways✦ Atlas AI
    01

    Burrow confident in Bengals' current roster.

    02

    Offseason focused on defensive reinforcements.

    03

    Team aims to improve defensive performance.

    Atlas AI

    Atlas AI

    On May 20, 2026, Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow said the team now has what it needs in the locker room, marking a shift from his call for change after last season’s playoff exit. The three-time Pro Bowler pointed to an aggressive, defense-first offseason as the basis for his confidence. He spoke during voluntary workouts as the Bengals reconvened for the first phase of their 2026 program.

    Burrow’s stance contrasts with his Dec. 31, 2025, remarks in the aftermath of elimination, when he said something had to change. In the months since, Cincinnati reshaped its defense through a headline trade and multiple veteran additions, signaling urgency to end a three-year playoff drought.

    The Bengals sent the No. 10 pick in the 2026 NFL Draft to the New York Giants to acquire defensive tackle Dexter Lawrence. They also added safety Bryan Cook, EDGE Boye Mafe and defensive lineman Jonathan Allen, then drafted EDGE Cashius Howell at No. 41 overall to bolster the pass rush.

    Those moves target a unit that undercut recent high-scoring efforts. Over the past three years, Cincinnati has lost seven games in which it scored 30 or more points — the most in the NFL; no other team has more than four such defeats.

    Burrow played in eight games last year due to turf toe, and the team’s results reflected his availability. The Bengals went 5-3 in the games he played and 1-8 without him, underscoring why a healthier quarterback and a sturdier defense are central to Cincinnati’s 2026 outlook.

    Cincinnati’s defensive bet

    Lawrence trade headlines overhaul

    Lawrence, acquired for a premium draft asset, is viewed as a uniquely disruptive interior presence. He turns 29 in November and is coming off a down season, but Cincinnati calculated that an immediate-impact tackle could outpace the value available at No. 10. Burrow welcomed the move, noting the difficulty of finding a rookie at that slot who would match Lawrence’s expected impact.

    Depth across the front seven

    Beyond Lawrence, the Bengals layered the front with experience and youth. Allen adds proven interior production, Mafe expands the edge rotation, and Howell provides a cost-controlled rusher to develop. With Cook reinforcing the back end, Cincinnati emphasized balance between the pass rush and coverage to close out games that slipped away in recent seasons.

    Burrow’s health and offensive continuity

    Return from injury and 2025 split

    Burrow’s injury-limited year shaped the Bengals’ trajectory in 2025. With him under center, Cincinnati played winning football; without him, results cratered. His return to full health is a central variable as the team tries to convert offseason momentum into weekly consistency.

    Continuity around Chase and Higgins

    Offensively, the Bengals expect continuity with Ja’Marr Chase, Tee Higgins and running back Chase Brown, plus all five offensive line starters returning. Burrow also has an eye on the franchise’s record books; he is 48 passing touchdowns from surpassing Andy Dalton’s club mark and called that target reachable.

    Organized team activities continue into the summer before training camp. The Bengals will look to translate their defensive investments and improved health into an end to the three-year playoff drought once the 2026 season begins.

    Share

    Related Articles

    Atlas360

    Sign up for Atlas Daily

    The daily global news briefing you can trust.

    every weekday·Read it now

    or
    Sign in

    Already subscribed? Sign in and we won't show you this message again.