U.S. and Iran negotiate Strait of Hormuz reopening.
Pakistan mediates, next talks expected soon.
Iran seeks naval blockade lift, frozen funds release.

Atlas AI
U.S. President Donald Trump said on May 24, 2026, that Washington and Tehran have largely negotiated a memorandum of understanding (MoU) that could reopen the Strait of Hormuz, a key global oil shipping route. The strait has been closed since February following the start of a conflict involving the United States and Israel. Pakistan’s Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, who is mediating the discussions, said the next round of talks would take place “very soon.”
Trump described the emerging document as a “Memorandum of Understanding pertaining to PEACE” and said it remained subject to finalization among the United States, Iran and other countries. He did not provide details of what else an agreement might include beyond the status of the waterway. Trump said reopening the strait could ease pressure on global energy markets.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said “significant progress” had been made on resolving the situation in the Strait of Hormuz during a visit to India. Rubio also reiterated U.S. accusations that Iran sponsors terrorism and repeated Washington’s position that Tehran must not obtain a nuclear weapon.
Iran sets conditions, signals caution
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said there was a “trend towards rapprochement” with Washington, but he cautioned that it did not guarantee agreement on core issues. He said the MoU was intended as a framework and expressed hope that the details of a final agreement could be worked out within “30 to 60 days” after that framework is completed.
Baghaei linked progress to steps Iran wants in the first phase, including the full lifting of a naval blockade and the release of some frozen Iranian funds. He said these measures would be prerequisites to moving from a framework document to a fuller agreement.
Disputes over terms and regional reaction
Iran’s Fars News Agency disputed parts of Trump’s characterization of the draft, reporting that the proposed agreement would leave Iran in charge of the strait and calling Trump’s claims inconsistent with reality. The differing accounts underscored uncertainty over what the MoU would require in practice and whether it would change control or security arrangements in the waterway.
In Israel, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was expected to convene a security cabinet meeting to discuss the potential deal. Trump said the MoU remained under discussion and that final aspects would be announced later.
Markets and governments will watch for the next round of U.S.-Iran negotiations and for any public text of the MoU, including timelines for reopening the strait and the conditions attached.
Related Articles
About this story
Atlas360 covers Global Affairs as part of a broader effort to give international readers fast, source-checked context on global affairs. Our newsroom monitors original reporting from wire services, accredited correspondents and verified eyewitness accounts, then re-summarises the most important facts in clear, plain-language English so that you can understand both what happened and why it matters.
Every published article on Atlas360 is reviewed for accuracy, balance and timeliness before it reaches the homepage. When new information emerges — for example a correction from an official source, a casualty update, or a clarifying statement from a named spokesperson — we update the story in place and keep the original publication time so readers can track how a developing situation evolves.
If you want to keep following Global Affairs, you can browse the related coverage at the foot of this page, subscribe to the Atlas360 newsletter for a daily roundup, or open the relevant topic page where every story we have published on the subject is listed in reverse chronological order. Reader signals from the community feed also shape which threads we keep reporting on.

