Nabers' Week 1 status uncertain.
Complex knee injury requires extensive rehab.
Giants' receiving corps impacted.

Atlas AI
The New York Giants remain unsure whether wide receiver Malik Nabers will be available for the Sept. 13 Sunday night season opener against the Dallas Cowboys at MetLife Stadium.
Coach John Harbaugh said Thursday the 22-year-old is rehabbing a “not a simple knee” injury and has no firm timetable to return. Nabers previously underwent right-knee ACL reconstruction with a full meniscus repair and recently had a procedure to remove scar tissue.
The club has shifted its near-term target from early training camp work to a cautious hope of Week 1.
Nabers was not on the field during Thursday’s organized team activity, though he has been at the facility throughout the week for treatment and meetings. Staff members describe the outlook as difficult to predict and emphasize that he is working daily with trainers. The team wants him to take part in training camp at some stage, but availability for the opener cannot be promised.
The two-step recovery has lengthened the calendar and forced New York to map out contingencies as camp approaches. Before the injury, Nabers had become the focal point of the passing game and set a franchise rookie mark in 2024 with 109 receptions for 1,204 yards and seven touchdowns after being drafted sixth overall out of LSU. He remains projected as the Giants’ top receiving option when cleared.
Giants weigh receiver depth while Nabers rehabs
Surgery and rehab timeline
The right-knee reconstruction and the follow-up scope have required a deliberate ramp-up. Nabers has stayed engaged in film and strength work at the team complex, while medical staff prioritize stability and strength over speed of return. With training camp nearing, New York is balancing optimism with caution and keeping multiple plans in place.
Depth chart shuffles at OTAs
Quarterback Jaxson Dart has been operating without two expected top targets this spring, with Darius Slayton sidelined following core muscle surgery. Coaches said the expectation is that Slayton will be ready for the start of training camp, which would ease pressure on the position if Nabers needs more time.
To cover snaps during OTAs, the Giants have rotated several receivers with the first team, including recent addition Darnell Mooney, Calvin Austin III and third-round pick Malachi Fields. Coaches still view Nabers as the clear No. 1 when healthy, and the practice rotations are designed to build depth and continuity in his absence.
Week 1 outlook and roster planning
Uncertain but hopeful timeline
Team officials characterize Nabers’ status as week to week over the summer. A best-case path would have him taking limited reps at some point in camp and being evaluated for the Sunday night opener. A slower ramp could push his return into the early portion of the regular season.
Regardless of the timing, the Giants stress that a full recovery takes precedence over meeting a date on the calendar. With preseason installations underway and multiple receivers taking starter reps, New York is structuring its offense to function with or without Nabers in Week 1.
The club will update his participation as camp nears. His workload in the opening week of training camp and any progression to on-field drills will be the key indicators ahead of Sept. 13.


